Vibrant Thoughts

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

What should I be - Altruist or Misanthrope?

Looking at the people who live around me, I ask myself in what aspect should I take them? Staying in residential school for 12 years of life, where you have been thought the lesson, service to mankind is service to God and where you also learn that its no good world its “dog eat dog” world. So how am I to decide how to treat people around me?

I know the answer is simple that is treat them as they treat you but the point is human beings are complex and what they do at once they may not do it again being the circumstances different. So how am I to test them, should I observe them or should I just follow what my heart (black and white) tells me?

After passing out from my school and when I took up a professional course, I realized its better to parry off the lessons thought at school. I am saying this because when I started living a solitude life I started meeting people of various kinds “extroverts, introverts and abiders”. I learned that the lesson thought at school were good to understand but not to be followed. Though I have mixed feelings to the lessons thoughts but I don’t think it’s possible to practice it in life and expect the same from other side. The people around you are just here to mean business, some take the friendly path whereas some the other way.
Exceptions are always part of human anthropology and I would say people who are that are my parents and my best friends (like in my case). I think that friends are means as well as no means to learn.

As Sidney Sheldon says “…. to be great in life you need to have enemies….” I totally agree with him because it’s your enemies who make you aware of your faults. But then should I make everybody s my enemy. Hmmmm….. This puts me in great confusion, a writer of that caliber cannot be wrong even if he is maybe not at this. In country like India where the every day you meet someone new and every walk of life is a tough challenge (more competitors), how am I taking people into considerations? Should I follow the Gandhian philosophy? Or should I follow the Big Brother’s policy?

To all my ambivalence, I fell one has to understand the other.

“…The face is a mask over a mirror.
What are we looking for? What seeking?
Each of us twists like a haunted river,
Nor do we linger over another's grieving.
Tell me of yourself, that I might become clearer
Your words are my eyes, your passion my breathing.
The face is a mask over a mirror.
What can I give you? What gleanings
Of yourself can my poor words deliver?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home